Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks will close its offices around the state to the public beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20 to protect the public and staff from the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
“With license sales and applications, traffic through our offices has been robust even with warnings about social distancing and public safety due to COVID-19,” said FWP Director Martha Williams. “FWP will continue to sell licenses online and help customers with questions regarding their license purchase through a call center and through email.”
The deadline to apply for deer and elk licenses is April 1. Hunters should apply now and not wait until the last minute. Hunters who are applying for special licenses or permits will need to do so online and will still need to have a valid email address. License buyers can still purchase their licenses online or from any license provider.
FWP office closures to the public will remain in effect for the foreseeable future, according to a news release. Much of the recent traffic to FWP offices were people who had trouble printing their licenses.
Two key changes the public should be aware of:
- FWP will mail carcass tags to those who purchase them online, just as in years past.
- People who have had trouble printing their licenses during the past two weeks will receive them in the mail.
“We know most customers are comfortable with online purchases, but for others this will be an inconvenience” Williams said. “Our licensing staff will be working diligently at the call center to meet the licensing needs of our customers.”
Visitor centers and public meeting spaces at many FWP facilities were closed Monday due to recommendations on social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
People who need assistance with their purchase can contact the FWP licensing center at (406) 444-2950 or a regional or area office.
- Region 1 (Kalispell): 752-5501
- Region 2 (Missoula): 542-5500
- Region 3 (Bozeman): 577-7900
- Helena Area Office: 495-3260
- Butte Area Office: 494-1953
- Region 4 (Great Falls): 454-5840
- Lewistown Area Office: 538-4658
- Region 5 (Billings): 247-2940
- Region 6 (Glasgow): 228-3700
- Havre Area Office: 265-6177
- Region 7 (Miles City): 234-0900
- FWP Headquarters (Helena): 444-2535