Wildlife officials euthanized a young, male grizzly bear Friday near Tiber Dam after it killed dozens of sheep.
Montana FWP Prairie Bear Monitor posted to social media that the grizzly was euthanized along the Marias River near the inlet of Tiber Dam on July 19.
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials captured the 278-pound bear after it killed 29 ewe sheep and 11 lambs over the last two weeks.
The livestock producer had conflict prevention methods in place, including four guard dogs and range rider always present, according to the post. The range rider chased the bear off twice with his four-wheeler, but the bear returned to the sheep.
The grizzly was captured at the site of the depredations. The bear had become food conditioned to livestock and presented an elevated threat to other livestock.
Due to the significant amount of livestock deaths, the grizzly was euthanized after consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and in accordance with Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee guidelines. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services assisted with the conflict response.
FWP officials installed an electric fence around the sheep bedding ground with materials provided by Vital Ground Foundation and Defenders of Wildlife. Montana FWP Prairie Bear Monitor wrote the producer agreed to continue containing the sheep within the electric fence at night where depredation could occur.
Several other grizzlies have been euthanized in Montana over the summer.
A grizzly bear in the Blackfoot Valley was euthanized on May 12 following repeated break-ins at a barn to access grain.
A young, male grizzly was euthanized in the Sun River Valley on May 1 after killing several calves while a sub-adult male grizzly was put down in the Helmville Valley in late April for its involvement in livestock depredations.
FWP also released some information concerning a grizzly bear that was shot and killed by a landowner west of Augusta on April 13.
- Black bear euthanized in Bozeman after several conflicts with humans
- Black bear euthanized near Conrad
- Black bear euthanized near Lake McDonald Lodge in Glacier National Park
- Grizzly bear euthanized near Kalispell
- Grizzly bear euthanized in Sun River Valley for killing calves
- Grizzly euthanized after killing calves in the Helmville Valley
- Grizzly bear euthanized in Blackfoot Valley
- Young grizzly bears spotted in western Montana
- Grizzly walks by Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest survey spot