BUTTE — At least 16 people were transported to St. James Healthcare in Butte Saturday morning after high carbon monoxide and natural gas levels reportedly made several guests at the Quality Inn and Suites Hotel ill.
According to a Facebook post from Butte-Silver Bow County, firefighters with the Butte Fire Department evacuated the hotel, located at 2100 Cornell Avenue, immediately following their dispatch to the scene just after 7:30 a.m. Saturday. NorthWestern Energy officials were also called to the scene to investigate the gas leak.
“At least 16 people have been transported to St. James Healthcare for treatment,” the Facebook post stated. “The source of the carbon monoxide and natural gas is under investigation.”
The patients’ conditions as well as the current status of air quality at the hotel are unclear at this time.
The Folk Festival is being held this weekend in Butte, an annual music festival that draws an estimated crowd of over 165,000 people annually to the historic mining city — many of whom stay in area hotels.
This is a developing story, and MTN News will provide updated information as it becomes available.