NewsGreat Falls News


Free tax help is available to Montanans

Posted at 3:07 PM, Mar 02, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-02 17:07:14-05

Tax Help Montana and Americorps volunteers are helping people be prepared for state and federal taxes free of charge.

Chastity Roofner of Rural Dynamics said, “Tax Help Montana, last year we did over seven thousand returns. We brought over $13 million dollars into the hands of Montana community members. So that’s all money that comes back into our communities so this is money that people are using for their rent, using to buy a car so they can get to and from work, using for their childcare expenses."

Volunteers keep regular hours at several Great Falls locations and have scheduled events in several outlying communities.

For each person listed on the return, bring:

  • Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter.
  • Prior year’s tax return
  • Valid picture I.D.

Income Statement or Forms:

  • Wages from each job (W-2)
  • Interest (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
  • Retirement Plans (Form 1099-R)
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
  • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA)
  • Miscellaneous Income (Form 1099-MISC)
  • Sales of stock (Form 1099-B)
  • Affordable Health Care Statements (Forms 1095 -A, B, or C)

You can stop by the follow locations during normal business hours every week until taxes are due in April:

  • Senior Citizens Center on Central Avenue (Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays)
  • Great Falls Public Library (Tuesdays)
  • St. Vincent de Paul of North Central Montana (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays)

In most cases, taxes are due by April 15th. For more information on how to get help in filing your taxes, visit the Tax Help Montana website, or the IRS website .