MISSOULA – The 17-year-old accused of shooting two teenagers behind Sentinel High School in June will be charged as an adult.
Judge John Larson ruled that Dylan Conat, 17, will face an assault with a weapon charge as an adult after a transfer hearing was held in October over the incident that took place on June 24.
Court documents state the two victims told police that Conat had attempted to rob them behind the school after meeting him at Southgate Mall. They said they were able to fight off Conat and wrestle the gun away from him in the process.
Conat told a different story when he took to the stand during the transfer hearing in October, saying that the two teens had attempted to rob him. Conat said he pointed a handgun at the two victims in order to get them to stop beating him and that he feared for his life.
Conat testified that he never intentionally fired the gun, and that it “went off twice” when one of the teens tried to pull the gun out of his hands.
Larson said that Conat has had an violent past and that an assault with a weapon charge warrants prosecution in District Court.
-Reported by Connor McCauley/MTN News
(June 24, 2018) Two teenagers are in the hospital after being shot on Sunday evening on the Sentinel High School campus.
Missoula Assistant Police Chief Scott Hoffman said officers were called to the scene shortly after 6:30 p.m. following reports of shots being fired in the area.
Hoffman said officers arrived at the school and found two males had been shot. Both of the victims were taken to a hospital where they were undergoing surgery.
There’s no word on their condition.
Authorities report that the victims were shot by a male who fled the scene.
A perimeter has been set up as far west as Russell Street so that officers can search the area for the suspect and weapon.
Police are asking people to avoid the area from South Avenue to Pattee Street as well.
Hoffman said at this time there is not believed to be a threat to the public.
There was an open gym taking place at the school when the shooting occurred. However, authorities said the athletes were not aware of the shooting. They were held inside the gym until they could be picked up by their parents.
We’ll have more information as it becomes available.