(GREAT FALLS) Reann Rothwell pleaded no contest on Monday to one count of forgery.
Rothwell forged several signatures on a trust/land sale document for the sale of a property valued at more than 1.2 million dollars.
In order to bring about the sale, Rothwell provided documents to Mountain Title Company in April of 2017, which included signatures of Jane Doe, Jim Doe, and John Doe.
Jane, Jim, and John Doe all deny ever signing the documents to allow the sale of the property.
They also said they told Rothwell several times they would not agree to sell the land.
Rothwell will be sentenced on December 3rd.
- Reported by Margaret DeMarco
(JULY 12, 2017) Reann Rothwell has been charged with felony forgery in Great Falls.
Rothwell is accused of forging several signatures on a trust/land sale document for the sale of a property valued at $1,225,000.
Court documents state that the property Rothwell was trying to sell was part of an irrevocable trust.
Rothwell is the trustor and trustee and is “entitled to a life estate and all income, benefits, and be responsible for all expenses from and for said trust during her life.”
Upon Rothwell’s death, the beneficiaries of the trust are Jane Doe and Jim Doe (pseudonyms used in court documents).
The trust further states that Rothwell shall not be allowed to sell the property or “alter, amend, or revoke” the trust in any form without the written agreement of all parties.
The parties who would be required to provide written agreement are Rothwell, Jane Doe, Jim Doe, and John Doe.
Rothwell signed the buy/sell agreement in January 2017.
Court documents allege that in an attempt to sell the land that is part of the trust, Rothwell entered into a buy/sell agreement with Josh Doe for $1,225,000, with $10,000 earnest money to be paid first.
In order to bring about the sale, Rothwell provided documents to Mountain Title Company on April 25, 2017, which included signatures of Jane Doe, Jim Doe, and John Doe.
The documents provided for the revocation of the trust, the sale of the land, and distribution of the proceeds by 70% to Rothwell, and the remaining 30% to be split between Jane Doe and Jim Doe.
Jane, Jim, and John Doe all deny ever signing the documents to allow the sale of the property, and also said that they all expressly told Rothwell several times over the past few months that they would not agree to sell the land.
According to court documents, a review of the signatures on the documents of Jane, Jim, and John Doe do not appear to match prior known true signatures any of them.
Prosecutors requested that bail for Rothwell be set at $2,500.