Suspected gas leak causes brief school evacuation

Posted at 12:54 PM, Dec 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-13 13:54:03-05

Students were evacuated from Central-Linc school on Tuesday due to a suspected gas leak.

Students were taken by bus to the Wingate Hotel at around 11:00 a.m.

Utility crews checked out the scene and did not find a leak.

Buses brought the students back to the school just after 11:30 a.m.

Central principal John Stilson said, "I sent an email to all the teachers and then I went over to the PA and told the teachers to check their emails immediately, and the email basically said there’s been a gas odor detected, we are evacuating as a precaution, please tell your students to gather their winter gear, put it on, and evacuate to their predetermined sites out back. And they did that without fail, they did an amazing job."

Assistant superintendent Greg Upham noted, "Mr. Stilson’s leadership and the teachers and the students did an awesome job, went out back, staged themselves, we called for buses immediately."

The Helena Fire Department and NorthWestern Energy did a complete check-up and made sure everything was safe before the students returned.

The school is located at 1325 Poplar Street.