The Havre Police Department said in a press release on Monday that a 15-year old boy has been arrested in connection with last week's threat at Havre High School.
The name of the teen has not yet been released.
He was arrested on charges of felony intimidation and misdemeanor criminal mischief.
Police said last week that engraved on the back of a bathroom stall door in the men’s room at the school, there was a note saying there would be a shooting at Havre High School on February 23. That prompted some parents to keep their kids out of school on Friday.
The investigation continues, and the Havre Police Department says that the case is being referred to the Hill County Attorney's Office and the Juvenile Probation Office for formal charges.
(FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 23) A threat made against Havre High School caused some parents to pull their children out of school on Friday. The school responded by ramping up security measures and bringing in extra law enforcement.
“She showed me on the Havre Public School’s website saying that there was going to be a shooting today,” said Darcy Azure, the parent of a high schooler.
Havre Police said engraved on the back of a bathroom stall door in the men’s room, there was a note saying there would be a shooting at Havre High School on February 23, 2018.
Azure didn’t let any of his children go to school today after he found out about the threat late last night.
However, he said he wished he would have found out from the school and not his worried daughter.
“School was out from 3 p.m. until I got home at 10 last night and I didn’t know between that whole amount of time what was going on. We usually get phone calls when something like that happens. If our kids bumps their head at school, we get a phone call.”
Superintendent Andy Carlson said there was a reason they didn’t call parents last night.
“We did an alert at about 10:30 at night. We noticed on the website, as well. What we didn’t do this time, is we didn’t do voicemail…every time we do a voice, we get about 50 to 100 phone calls at our district office of people not waiting for that voice to pick up and they think the school is calling and obviously something is going on.”
Carlson said if they would have cancel school, a voicemail would have been sent out.
Azure said if anything could jeopardize the safety of his children, he should be notified through the awareness systems.
“I mean it might seem small and unsubstantiated from their point of view, but when it concerns our children, I don’t think anything should be unsubstantiated.”
Classes carried on a normal schedule Friday, regardless of the threat. There were several different agencies patrolling in and around the school.
Havre Police Department are continuing to investigate by reviewing video surveillance and conducting interviews.
An individual involved in this type of activity can be charged with Intimidation under Montana Statue. If convicted, that person could face up to 10 years in prison, be fined up to $50,000, or both.
There have been several threats that disrupted schools across Montana this week: