Dozens of carbon monoxide detectors were given out on Saturday at two area fire departments.
Fifty detectors were picked up by community members in only three hours at Cascade Volunteer Fire Department and 25 were given away by the Ulm Volunteer Fire Department.
Cascade Fire Chief Eric Tilleman said Saturday was to remind people to check their carbon monoxide detectors and make sure they’re placed appropriately.
“A lot of the manufacturers are saying that you want to have one of these per floor and 15 feet away from any source that’s going to give carbon monoxide because then it’ll be a nuisance for you because it’ll keep going off, but close to bedrooms and about five feet high," he said.
He added that a lot of detectors only have a life expectancy of about five to 10 years.
The detectors were provided through a grant by the Montana FFA Foundation and the Cascade FFA Foundation.
Here is more information from the National Fire Protection Association:
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
- Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- Call your local fire department’s non-emergency number to find out what number to call if the CO alarm sounds.
- Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
- If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
- During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
- A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
- Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside.