GFPD: no further threat from Monday incident - KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

GFPD: no further threat from Monday incident

Posted: Updated:

The Great Falls Police Department says that there is believed to be no further threat to the community.

Evacuated residents may now return to their homes, with the exception of the neighbors immediately to the east of the home where the incident occurred.

As the investigation continues, and a search warrant is executed, police officers will remain at the scene.

The name of the person taken into custody earlier has not yet been released, nor has there been any information about what charges he may be facing.

We hope to get details on Tuesday, and will update you when we get more information.

PREVIOUSLY: Standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody

(5:14 p.m.) The standoff in Great Falls on Monday was resolved peacefully (details), but law enforcement officers are still at the scene investigating possible explosive devices.

The GFPD has called in the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team from Malmstrom Air Force Base to assist with the investigation.

The GFPD released the following information just after 5 p.m. on Monday: 

At approximately 10:30 this morning our dispatchers received report of a man with a gun at a home in the 1700 block of 20th Avenue South. Our patrol teams responded and, though all of the other occupants of the home were evacuated safely, the suspect remained inside the house and refused to exit. 

Our High Risk Unit (HRU) was called in to assist with the situation and the suspect surrendered without further incident at approximately 4pm. Upon clearing the home, to ensure there was no further threat, members of our HRU found several items that appeared to be suspicious. 

We have asked for the assistance of MAFB and, as we await a confirmed identity of the items in question, residents that live on the north and south sides of the 1700 block of 20th Avenue South, and the south side of 19th Avenue South have been evacuated. 

We will post further updates on the situation as we learn more. Thank you for the cooperation and patience of all of the community members affected. We are grateful to report there have been no injuries reported so far throughout this incident.

We have a reporter at the scene and will keep you updated.

Powered by Frankly

© KXLH.com 2018, KXLH.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?