Quantcast

Fauntleroy identified as victim of suspected carbon monoxide poi - KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

Fauntleroy identified as victim of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
HELENA -

The Lewis & Clark County Coroner says carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the cause of death for 28-year old Kevin Fauntleroy.

Fauntleroy, along with five other people, was taken to St. Peter's Hospital in Helena on Saturday for reports of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Just before 8:30 p.m, emergency responders arrived at the home on the 1800 block of 8th Avenue for reports of people feeling ill from possible poisoning.

The six people in the residence were then taken to the hospital for treatment.

An autopsy will be conducted to confirm Fauntleroy's cause of death.

The other five victims are expected to make a full recovery.

Vince Williams of the Helena Fire Department said the acceptable level of carbon monoxide in the air is 35 parts per million, and there were sections in the house where the carbon monoxide levels were 1,700 per million.

Williams noted, "The easy answer is carbon monoxide detectors; there were no carbon monoxide detectors in this residence.  If you have a gas or any type of gas appliance in your house you need to have a gas detector."

The incident is still being investigated.


Information from the U.S. Centers For Disease Control & Prevention:

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

How can I prevent CO poisoning in my home?

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Consider buying a detector with a digital readout. This detector can tell you the highest level of CO concentration in your home in addition to alarming. Replace your CO detector every five years.
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO.
  • When you buy gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances, such as a water heater, should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors, as shown below. This prevents CO from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal - red, gray, black, or white - gives off CO.
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
Powered by Frankly

© KXLH.com 2018, KXLH.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?