Feb 16, 2012 7:11 PM by Evan Weborg
If you plan on cross-country skiing this season on MacDonald Pass, time is running short.
On February 23rd the Nordic ski trails on MacDonald Pass will be closed for the season.
The closure is due to the removal of pine beetle-infested trees along the trails, which will be felled starting on the 23rd.
Tim Lynch, manager of the base camp, says this closure is the final necessary step in removing possibly dangerous trees.
Lynch said, "Moving forward, the ski trails will be safe and we won't have to invest any more time in providing for a safe environment due to the pine beetle infestation. So moving forward it is a great step for everyone and it is going to provide an awesome trail system that is going to be much safer for the future and continue to provide great skiing for the local Helena community."
If you are looking for an alternative route, Lynch offered the following options:
- Bill Roberts Golf Course in Helena
- Stemple Pass - 37 miles outside of town heading up on temple pass road off of Highway 279
- Flesher Pass off of Highway 279
- Mount Haggin outside of Anaconda
- Seeley Lake (half the trails are groomed everyday)
2 hours ago